Using Formulaw Forms on a Mac
If you’re a Mac user and want to use our Formulaw forms, the easiest thing to do is use a PC. If that’s not an option, here’s how you can get up and running with TheFormTool PRO and some other software that will enable your Mac to support Formulaw forms.
When you install Microsoft Word (and Office more generally) on your Mac, you’re not getting the product that goes on a PC. Microsoft Word for Windows, which is what goes on a PC, has more capabilities, and TheFormTool and our Formulaw forms depend on these additional capabilities to function. Other automated forms get processed on the internet so that you don’t have to install this software, but the problem with these other forms for attorneys is that they lose control over editing the templates. This matters in the long run. Say, you find that you almost always need a sentence about Stirpes in your template for the Last Will and Testament—with Formulaw, you add it to your template, save it, and it’s always there the next time you fill out the form. That’s impossible for you to do with online automation. Formulaw gives you more power and freedom to do what you want with your forms. IICLE is currently developing Continuing Education sessions on using Formulaw forms, as well as online video tutorials, so that you can feel confident in adjusting Formulaw forms to your practice’s needs. If you’re uncertain about the investment in the new software, check out this video or come join us for one of our demonstrations at Continuing Education events.
In order to allow your Mac to run Word for Windows 2010, you need two kinds of software: 1) a hard disc for Word for Windows 2010 (directions on ordering this below); and 2) CrossOver, a sort of virtual desktop that simulates a PC desktop on your Mac so that it can support Word for Windows 2010. (CrossOver is programmed to only work with the hard disc, not a digital copy.)
Installing TheFormTool PRO, CrossOver, and Word for Windows 2010 on your Mac
Here’s what you need to start:
1) An internet connection on your Mac
2) Word for Windows 2010 installation disc. You CANNOT use a copy of Word already installed on your Mac, nor can you use a digital subscription to Word for Windows 2010. (The explanation of this issue is above.) There a number of ways to get a copy of this disc. You can order it from Microsoft for $109.99 plus shipping and tax by selecting the Microsoft Word 2016 icon at the top of their store page. Do NOT select Word 2016 for Mac. Copies of the disk version are also available on eBay for $65 (search for “Word for Windows 2016 disc” and ensure that the copy includes a disc).
3) If you don’t have a CD drive on your Mac (either external or internal), you’ll need to have one in order to install the disk-version of Word for Windows 2010. You can order one online from Apple for $79.
4) A half hour of your time, at most
Here’s what you need to do:
1) Go to https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/theformtool and click to “Buy Now.” If you’d like to try a free version for 14 days, click “Download Free.”
2) Install CrossOver by following the directions they provide.
3) Insert the Word or Office installation disc in your disc drive.
4) Two possibilities:
- CrossOver will automatically detect that you are attempting to install Word. Follow the steps it provides to install Word.
- Open CrossOver. Click on the button for installing a Windows application. Enter “Microsoft Word 2010.” It should acknowledge that it has found the program. Click “Continue.” CrossOver confirms it will install Word and place it in a bottle called “Microsoft Word 2010.” A “bottle” is CrossOver’s name for the environment created to run a Windows program on a Mac. Next, follow the different installation steps.
5) Install what is called a TIE file for TheFormTool at https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=10978. Click the gray-green button in the middle of the three boxes. The installation is automatic.
6) Open CrossOver. Click on “Install a Windows Application.” Enter “theformtool” into the search bar, select it from the dropdown, and click on “Continue” and follow the process for installation.
7) Open MS Word 2010 from within the CrossOver bottle or graphic menu.
8) Open TheFormTool PRO file. Drag the file titled “theformtool.docm” and drop it on top of the Word icon in your dock so that Word for Windows opens the file. (Alternatively, you can use Word’s commands to pen the file: File>Open>Desktop>My Mac Desktop>(the zip folder)>the .docm file
9) When the program’s document opens in a new window, click the yellow “Enable Content.”
10) Approve the licensing information.
11) Click “OK” to install.
12) Completely close Word.
13) Reopen Word. The program tab – TheFormTool – should appear in Word’s menu. Select it.
14) Click on any of the program’s menu commands. It should request licensing information, the Registration name and License Code. Complete that step and you’re done.
Opening Formulaw Forms in Word for Windows
There are a few ways to open your Formulaw forms in Word for Windows on a Mac. Here’s how to get started:
1) You’ll see that you need to download what are called Master Lists – they contain information about counties and states for TheFormTool to draw on. With the Word for Windows icon in your dock, drag a Master List file over this icon. The file should appear. Follow the directions in the pdf “READ ME FIRST” that should have been in your Formulaw zip file. Do this process for all Master Lists and Wrappers.
2) To open a Formulaw form, you can follow a similar method. You can simply drag the file over the Word for Windows icon in the dock.
Here’s how to open a Formulaw form if CrossOver isn’t open:
- If Microsoft Word for Windows isn’t yet open, open CrossOver and then open Microsoft Word for Windows from CrossOver. In your new Word document, click on “File” and then “Open.” Then download or find your Formulaw zip file and open it. Highlight all the files in the zip file by holding down on your mouse and dragging it over all the files until they are highlighted. Then hold down on your mouse on any highlighted file and drag to the folder opened from Microsoft Word for Windows. You should be able to open any of the Word files with CrossOver now.
- If you have Microsoft Word for Windows open in CrossOver, you can access your Formulaw forms by finding them on one of your computer’s drives. In the Word document opened in CrossOver, click on “File” and then “Open.” Click on “Computer” and then locate the drive where the Formulaw forms were either downloaded or stored and click to open.
This article relies heavily on TheFormTool website’s directions for installing this software on a Mac (https://www.theformtool.com/mac-crossover-major-update/).